Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Shailene talks The Spectacular Now and a little TFIOS with EW and Yahoo

picture credit: Empire Magazine


Shailene recently talked to EW about her movie The Spectacular Now, that is out on DVD today (we highly recommend it), The Fault in our Stars and Divergent. 
Check out the interview below.





 ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Let’s begin by talking about the movie’s ending. What do you think happens after the last scene that we see in The Spectacular Now?

SHAILENE WOODLEY: Here’s what I know I want to happen: I want them not to get back together. One of the most crucial things that’s happened in my life is being in a really unhealthy relationship, and then having the time and the freedom to get to know myself afterwards. And so I hope that they don’t get back together, so that they can both go on their own individual paths to get to know themselves, their own hearts, their own ambitions.


I understand that the ending of the film isn’t as bleak as the ending of the book.

Yeah. I actually haven’t even read the book — I chose not to read the book on purpose, because the character in the book was sort of more stereotypical, kind of a nerd, and I really was keen on making her a real human and not a stereotype.


You’ve recently become the go-to person for YA literary adaptations. I’ve been trying to figure out if there’s something that unites the characters you’re playing in all these movies – The Spectacular NowDivergent, and The Fault in Our Stars — and what I came up with is that it seems like all of them could be described as loners.
I don’t think so. I wouldn’t say that Aimee’s a loner. I think that she’s somebody who chooses not to have a lot of friends because she just doesn’t have anything in common with a lot of high school kids. She’s got an old soul, and she’s incredibly wise and intelligent, and is an introvert. I think that Tris [from Divergent] isn’t a loner; she’s just from a faction that doesn’t lend to compassionate friendships. And I think that Hazel [from The Fault in Our Stars] isn’t a loner, I think she’s somebody that by circumstance isn’t around a lot of people often. So I actually don’t think there’s much correlation between any of them, apart from the fact that they’re all around the same age.

Your Spectacular Now costar Miles also appears in Divergent as one of your character’s main adversaries. What was it like to act opposite him again?

It was amazing. Miles is my favorite person to act across from, because we both approach acting from the same vantage point — which is, we really both love to be on a movie set. A lot of actors go on movie sets and take it incredibly seriously, and don’t talk to anyone, and kind of keep to themselves, or have to keep in character. Which is their process, and there’s no judgment, and that’s great for them. But that’s not how I work. I love the interaction with every single person involved, and so does Miles. So it was fun to have somebody that I could play with.


How did you feel when you heard that director Neil Burger won’t return for Divergent‘s sequelInsurgent?

Yeah, it was a bit of a shock. I just found out a few days ago. [EW interviewed Woodley on Dec. 19.] We were actually doing reshoots when I found out. It’s kind of strange to think that it’s his baby, and it’s going to be passed on to the next person – and I guess this happens all the time in franchises – but I’ve never been a part of a franchise, and I’ve never experienced anything like it. It was shocking. This entire movie has been about Neil’s vision, and one of the reasons I did it was because I thought his vision was so beautiful and so strong. So yeah, it was just more shocking than anything.

[Spoiler alert!] I also wanted to ask about your reaction to the ending of Allegiant.

I was stoked. I thought that it was such a badass decision of Veronica Roth, and so incredibly powerful. I love that she didn’t sort of buy into the breakdown of what most young adult books, like, the outline of what’s happened in previous young adult books. Men die all the time in films – heroes do. But a lot of sweet heroines don’t. And so I thought it was a very powerful, profound decision on her part. And I really love that she had the courage and the bravery to do that.


If you loved The Spectacular Now like we did, go to the source for an exclusive clip.



Shailene also talked to Yahoo about The Spectacular Now and mentioned TFIOS.

What movie makes you cry?
The movie that isn’t out yet but will make me cry is "The Fault is In Our Stars" for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment