Saturday, May 24, 2014

TFIOS Soundtrack Reaction Post


We sat down and talked about all of our TFIOS soundtrack feels and we thought we'd share our conversation. 
INCLUDES SPOILERS.


The letter director, Josh Boone, wrote to fans was a beautiful surprise. It was heartfelt and allowed us, as fans, to connect with Josh. We can all agree that music is universal and can help us deal with hard moments. We also appreciate the fact he took the time to thank the TFIOS team who helped come up with the amazing soundtrack.


All of the Stars - Ed Sheeran
Sara: I think it is beautiful. I also love the placement especially the way Season explained it. It would/will be a great song to decompress and mourn with. I mean at the end of the movie I am going to be coming down from a high, I’m going to need some time to recuperate and process things.
Kate: Exactly. It perfectly wraps up the story.
Tamara: Yeah, I think it expresses everything you feel about the book in one song. The sadness but also the hope and happiness you feel.
Kate: I bawled when I first listened to it. No joke!
Sara: Ed Sheeran is just really freaking talented.
Katherine: It's even more amazing that he wrote this song without having seen the film yes. Really captures the essence of hope through the sadness.

Simple as This - Jake Bugg
Sara: I like Jake Bugg. It's a different genre than pop. It's folk-y.
Kate: I like the lyrics a lot.
Tamara:  I think that's Augustus to some extent. It's kind of his happiness.
Sara: Yup. I mean the song is about something that makes a person happy that is simple and unexpected.
Tamara: I imagine Ansel's HUGE smile with that song.
Katherine: Jake's voice sounds so lived in and rough. At the same time, the blend of his voice and the banjo really welcome you in.
Kate: He sounds like a Beatle. I especially like this line "I've been falling, crashing, breaking... And all the while you were stood here waiting for me, girl."
Sara: Yes, it is very Beatles.
Let Me In - Grouplove
Kate: I can totally see Gus coming out of the limo to this. Like BAM! Here I am.
Sara: Okay this isn't my favorite but it's a good song. I like that this is the song they are using for the limo pickup for the airport.
Tamara: The thing about this song is I like it on its own but I can't imagine it in the movie yet. That's reason 27393489 for why I need to see the movie ASAP.
Kate: It's one of those melodies that remind you of an epic day with your friends.
Sara: Yeah. It's a good pump up song, like you're getting ready to do something with friends.
Katherine: It's so vibrant. You can just feel how pumped Gus and Hazel are. Not to mention, the song is kickass all on its own.

Tee Shirt - Birdy
Sara: I really love me an acoustic guitar song. I love this one so much.
Tamara: Tee Shirt is first love and makes you all “alksjdlakd” and butterflies and sunshine.
Kate: Yes exactly, the melody as well as the lyrics.
Katherine: HER VOICE! Hard not to sway and smile.
Sara: I smile listening to this one and Best Shot. They are light and uplifting songs.
Tamara: I can already see my face splitting in half with that song in the movie.
Sara: I can imagine Gus and Hazel smiles.
Katherine: "When I saw you
everyone knew I
liked the affect that you
had on my eyes
But no one else heard
the way of your words
or felt the affect that they
have on my mind" <3333
Sara: Birdy slays with her words

All I Want - Kodaline
Tamara:  All I Want is one of the saddest songs, I think. It's not this depressing in your face sadness but this bittersweet sadness. Accepting or something.
Sara: I want to give Greg a hug for including that song.  Listening to it is an intense experience. That one and 'Wait'...all I have to do is close my eyes and I feel the emotion well up inside of me. The song itself builds up with the music. It starts off slow and quiet crescendos into something big that makes you want to cry and run.
Kate: I've listened to it ever since Google used it in their Zeitgeist 2012 video. It hurts me.
Katherine: It REALLY stays with you too. It's been in my head ever since my first listen.
Tamara:  Yeah totally. It makes me wanna scream the lyrics along. 
Kate: "If you loved me why did you leave me, take my body...all I want is and I all I need is to find somebody like you are" <///////3
Sara: It is easily one of my favorites on the soundtrack.

Long Way Down - Tom Odell
Kate: That song signifies mourning for me. I can see that song post-Gus. 
Tamara: I was just going to say the exact opposite. I can imagine this song while Hazel falls in love with him, but doesn't want to because she is a 'grenade'.
Sara: I’ve heard a lot of good things about Tom O’Dell. Love how simple this song is. It’s not overwhelming.
Katherine: I love how Season said it was important to have something organic in the grenade-ish part of the movie, because I can totally see Hazel pacing and wrought with indecision about what to do about Gus.


Boom Clap - Charlie XCX
Kate: That song keeps me going. It's uplifting and really fits the idea of living in the moment.
Tamara:  It’s a really good dance song. You just wanna dance like a maniac.
Katherine: It's so unbelievably snappy and catchy. Full of life!
Sara: I love how this song is sort of introducing Amsterdam, a light-hearted moment of adventure and falling in love.
Kate: I love the drum parts and the lyrics to it "boom clap like the sound of my heart".
Katherine: I get this song stuck in my head for days. I have a deep love for it.
Kate: I FEEL YA!

While I'm Alive - STRFKR
Kate: Stuck on repeat!!!!!
Katherine: Makes me dance in the way that songs on The OC used to. Like whenever a Rooney song would show up.
Tamara:  This song just FORCES you to start swinging your hips.
Katherine: This is a straight up booty shaker.
Tamara: KLAJDLKAJSDLK
Sara: One word to describe this song: Fun.
Katherine: It's so quirky and offbeat that it so fits Hazel's mindset after meeting cocky Gus.

Oblivion - The Indians
Sara: 'Oblivion' was an unexpected song. I love it. It’s soothing. It fits in that soundtrack. Many wanted Bastille's 'Oblivion' in the soundtrack. I prefer this one.
Kate: I want to lay on the grass, feel the wind on my face while listening to this song.
Katherine: It's full of wonder and sweetness in its simplicity. Makes me smile so much.

Strange Things Will Happen - The Radio Dept.
Sara: This was another one that was unexpectedly good. I have never heard of The Radio Dept. I want to hear every song they have released.
KateI love the vibe.
Tamara: Yeah, same here. I really like how it feels.
Katherine: I LOVE this one. Again it reminds me of a thoughtful song from an The OC soundtrack. It's whimsical and magical. The OC soundtracks ALWAYS made you feel everything, while being relevant to the episodes and I feel this does the same.
Sara: I'm really thankful Josh included this song and that he has really good taste in music.
Katherine: Reminds me so much of the music in Stuck In Love.

Boomfalleralla - Afasi & Filthy
Kate: I don't get a word, but it's so Van Houten
Katherine: I'm OBSESSED with this song. Reminds me of a blend of Kanye and Eminem, but, ya know, Swedish.
Sara: I laughed when they announced that this would be on soundtrack I am just so happy they included the song. Also, I laughed when you hear Van Houten asking Lidewij to queue up the song at the start of the track.
Tamara: Makes me think of John and Ansel with a few golden chains and gangsta caps.
Katherine: Behind the scenes of Ansel's music producing with John.
Tamara: I just think that it's (once more) the BEST FEELING for any fan that they included that. They really treasured the book so much.
Katherine: Shows their attention and care of details.
Sara: It's a random song, but it really fits the moment. Here are these kids from US and an idiot author who is hiding in Amsterdam. The song feels out of place just like Hazel and Gus.
Katherine: Makes me laugh just how gangster this song is and just picturing Van Houten jam out...I can't.

Without Words - Ray Lamontagne
Sara: Okay I am a huge fan of Ray Lamontagne. His voice is amazing.
Kate: That song sort of wraps up the Amsterdam trip for me.
Tamara: I was just going to say that this song feels Amsterdam-y.
Sara: It's a very goodbye song. Nostalgic song. 
Katherine: So soulful! Ray's always intertwined the sadness and bright spots of life beautifully.


Not About Angels - Birdy
Tamara: 'Not About Angels' is just not ok. Birdy can't do that to people and she needs to know that.
Sara: 'Not About Angels' wrecks me every time. Every. Single. Time.
Tamara:  I love so much how the song swells and gets bigger and fills your chest kind of?
Sara: The lyrics wreck me. Essentially Birdy is talking about people/Angels come, bless our lives and then leave. Gus is that. Hazel is that. Everyone is temporary.
Katherine: I want to hug everyone and everything and attach some tear buckets under my eyeballs because FEELS.
Kate: I listened to the soundtrack on the train the other day and I started tearing up. Listening to it in public isn't a good idea.
Sara: The song builds up to crescendo that makes your heart explode and bleed and goodbye you're a mess.

No One Ever Loved - Lykke Li
Tamara: I think 'No One Ever Loved' kind of wraps up the movie nicely. Still sad, but bittersweet.
Kate: I love how they still included it because she wrote it for Gus and Hazel.
Katherine: "In his arms, 
don't leave me now.
Crystal light 
don't fail me now." 
SO MUCH HEARTACHE. 
Sara: Okay, 'No One Ever Loved' is just sad. The music, the tone and the lyrics are sad. It makes me want to hug people and stuff.
Tamara: That is the best description. It makes you just want to hug everything.

Wait - M83
Sara: 'Wait' is just feels all over my body.
Tamara: That one is devastating on its own, but knowing why Josh really wanted it in there equals WATERFALLS ON MY FACE.
Sara: I legit cry. The music is simple but very powerful. The lyrics.
Tamara: That one also builds up in your body and wants out.
Kate: They did an AMAZING job with the soundtrack. I do not NOT like any of the songs. 
Sara: "There's no end/
There is no goodbye
Disappear
With the night"
Katherine: So haunting and devastating. But in a way, it's also uplifting, which is why I love M83 so much.
Sara: And I agree that knowing the weight of the song for Josh adds to the emotion I feel.
Tamara: Makes me want hug him. He is pretty freaking awesome.

Best Shot - Birdy and Jaymes Young
Sara: One of my favorites. I have it on repeat.
Tamara: It just makes me smile.
Katherine: Seeing a montage of Gus and Hazel's friendship to relationship progression in my head right now and it's making me SO happy.
Sara: This song really makes me smile so hard. I want to sway and kiss a cute boy. Also the lyrics ARE THE CUTEST. Like 'Tee Shirt', it is very first innocent love.
Kate: There's just something magical to Birdy's voice.
Katherine: Birdy's voice is supreme.
Tamara: The song is Gus and Hazel's smiles again. THEY MADE MUSIC OUT OF THEIR SMILES. How is that even possible?




Overall thoughts:
Tamara: I, in all seriousness, don't really know yet how to go into that movie. I'm preparing for it. I am thinking about what needs to be done beforehand, because for at least two days after I see the film I won't be able to function properly.
Sara: Listening to this soundtrack and knowing how everything is going to blend together (scenes and music) makes me so emotional. Each song does its job and does it well.
Tamara: Totally.
Katherine: Soundtracks have always been so important to me and this one feels like it's on another level. Everything is so fitting and perfect.
Sara: Can we give Josh and Season a big hug?
Katherine: Giant tackle hugs.


So what did you guys think of the soundtrack? Favorite songs? General feels overload? Let us know!


No comments:

Post a Comment